The project timeline shown below is for planning purposes only and is not official NSF guidance.
The site selection and logistics timeline mean that drilling is expected to begin no sooner than January 2024.
- 2021 and 2022: Proposals for related or preparatory work could be considered (not official NSF guidance)
- 2023: proposals for analysis of the core could be considered (not official NSF guidance)
- 2024/25 field season: First full season of drilling
- June 2025: First possible ice sampling season at the NSF Ice Core Facility
- 2026/27 field season: Finish drilling of the ice core
- January 2027: Borehole logging? Replicate coring? (this work is not currently funded, nor proposed)